School Elections will take place on December 20, 2020
Ministerial Decree 1039-2020, deposited on October 7, 2020, postponed School Elections due to the Covid-19 pandemic; Ministerial Decree 1076-2020, deposited on November 13, 2020, sets the dates for School Elections to RESUME.
With two wards in election, the New Frontiers School Board is re-establishing the calendar to ensure the election process is adhered to.
Yellow Cards coming soon to registered electors in Ward 3 & Ward 4 (Chateauguay) only. These cards contain important information regarding the electoral list and the candidates who are running as the commissioner in your ward. If your card has an error on it, or if you haven’t received a card by November 29th, you must come in person to our Revision Board (see below), to make corrections or be added to the list. Please see our Public Notice below for greater details.
PUBLIC NOTICE is hereby given to electors of the New Frontiers School Board residing in Wards 3 and 4 that the electoral list will be subject to revision. To be an elector and to have the right to be entered on the list of electors, a person must, on polling day (Dec. 20, 2020):
- have attained 18 years of age;
- be a Canadian citizen;
- be domiciled in the area administered by the School Board;
- be domiciled in Quebec for at least six months;
- not be under curatorship or be deprived of voting rights;
- not have been convicted within the past five years of any corrupt electoral or referendum practices;
- not have a child enrolled in educational services provided by a Francophone School Service Centre.
The list of electors may be consulted and applications for entry, striking off, and corrections, including written notices of the option or revocation of the option to exercise a voting right in an Anglophone school board, presented before the Revision Board, located at the New Frontiers School Board Offices (214 McLeod, Chateauguay, Quebec J6J 2H4) on:
- November 26, 2020 / 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm
- December 1, 2020 / 4:30 pm to 10:00 pm
When completing an application for entry, the previous address of the person concerned must be indicated. In addition, two documents must be presented:
- One indicating the name and date of birth;
- Another indicating the name and address of domicile.
Given at Chateauguay this 18th day of November 2020.
Luisa Benvenuti, Returning Officer
- Chairperson – John Ryan – Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 1 – Raymond Ledoux – Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 2 – Karin VanDroffelaar- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Ward 3 / 2 Candidates – Lina Chouinard, Mack Leduc – In election
- Ward 4 / 2 Candidates – Andrew Clark, Kenneth Crockett – In election
- Commissioner Ward 5 – Howard (Buzz) Gibbs- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 6 – Abdul Pirani- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 7 – Dianne Eastwood- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 8 – Peter Stuckey- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 9 – Barbara Ednie- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
- Commissioner Ward 10 – Debra Wright- Proclaimed Elected, November 6, 2020
Public Notice of Elections
Public Notice is hereby given to electors on the territory of the New Frontiers School Board (NFSB), that the following positions are open for nominations:
• One (1) Chairperson
• Ten (10) Commissioners (One position for each of the ten electoral divisions – see below – of the NFSB)
To run as a candidate for the above positions, you must, on polling day:
• Be entitled to have your name entered on the NFSB electoral list; and
• Have been domiciled on the territory of the NFSB for six (6) months or more.
Nomination papers will be accepted at the office of the Returning Officer on the following dates and times:
• September 22, 2020 – 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
• September 23, 2020 – 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
• September 24, 2020 – 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm
• September 26, 2020 – 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm
• September 27, 2020 – 10:00 am to 5:00 pm – the office will close promptly at 5:00 pm.
If more than one nomination is received for any given post, a poll will be held on November 1, 2020, from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm, and an advance poll will be held on October 25, 2020, from 9:30 am to 8:00 pm.
A period of revision of the electoral list will be held from October 3 to 13, 2020 for the wards in election only; exact dates and locations to be confirmed.
Electors who do not have a child admitted to educational services in the English language school board or the French language school service centre that covers their home address may choose to exercise or revoke their right to vote at an English language school board. This choice is made by sending the Notice, to the Returning Officer between September 18, 2020 and October 13, 2020.
I nominate Mr. Mike Helm to act as Election Clerk and name him as an assistant authorized to receive nomination papers.
Luisa Benvenuti, Returning Officer
214 McLeod, Chateauguay, Quebec / 450-691-1440 #247 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Description and Map of Electoral Divisions
Ward 1 Includes the Town of Lery. Also includes a section of the City of Chateauguay that is described as follows: starting at a point where the Chateauguay River and the municipal border meet in the north-east, this border, Saint-Bernard road, the Chateauguay River and the municipal border back to the starting point. This division includes Ile Saint-Bernard. MAP OF WARD 1
Ward 2 Includes a section of the City of Chateauguay described as follows: starting at a point where Saint-Bernard road and the north-east municipal border meet, this border, St. Jean-Baptiste Boulevard, St. Francis Boulevard, the Chateauguay River and Saint-Bernard road back to the starting point. This division includes the Kahnawake Native Reserve. MAP OF WARD 2
Ward 3 Includes a section of the City of Chateauguay described as follows: starting at a point where St. Francis Boulevard and St-Jean Baptiste Boulevard meet, St. Jean Baptiste Boulevard, D’Anjou Boulevard, the Chateauguay River, St-Francis Boulevard back to the starting point. MAP OF WARD 3
Ward 4 Includes a section of the City of Chateauguay described as follows: starting at a point where D’Anjou Boulevard and St. Jean Baptiste Boulevard meet, St. Jean Baptiste, the municipal border, the Chateauguay River, and D’Anjou Boulevard back to the starting point. MAP OF WARD 4
Ward 5 Includes the City of Mercier. Also includes the section of the City of Chateauguay that is located to the east of St. Jean Baptiste Boulevard. MAP OF WARD 5
Ward 6 Includes the municipalities of Beauharnois (V), Salaberry-de-Valleyfield (V), St. Etienne de Beauharnois (M), Sainte Martine (M), and St Urbain-Premier (M). MAP OF WARD 6
Ward 7 Includes the municipalities of Saint-Chrysostome (M), Sainte-Clothilde (M), Saint-Patrice-de-Sherrington (M), Havelock (CT), Hemmingford (CT), Hemmingford (VL) and Saint-Bernard-de-Lacolle (P). Also includes a section of the municipality of Saint-Cyprien-de-Napierville that is located east of Autoroute 15 and is within the territory of the School Board. MAP OF WARD 7
Ward 8 Includes the municipalities of Howick (M), Ormstown (M), Saint-Stanislas-de-Kostka (M), Saint-Louis-de-Gonzague (P) and Très-Saint-Sacrement (P). MAP OF WARD 8
Ward 9 Includes the municipalities of Elgin (M), Hinchinbrooke (M), and Franklin (M). MAP OF WARD 9
Ward 10 Includes the municipalities of Saint-Anicet (M), Sainte-Barbe (M), Dundee (CT), Godmanchester (CT) and Huntingdon (V). This division includes the Akwesasne Native Reserve. MAP OF WARD 10
Eligibility of Candidates
To be elected, you must have the right to be entered on the list of electors of the school board and, on polling day, be domiciled on the territory of the school board for at least six months.
Having the right to be entered on the list of electors does not mean that you are obliged to register on the list. However, you have to satisfy the following conditions :
- Be a qualified elector on polling day
- Be 18 years old
- Be a Canadian citizen
- Be domiciled on the territory of the school board and, for at least six months, in Quebec
Note: You do not have to live in the electoral division where you would like to run. However, you can only run in one electoral division, or for one seat as a community member.
- Not be under curatorship
- Not be found guilty, over the past five years, of an offence that is deemed a corrupt election practice during an election or a referendum;
Candidates and Funding
I want to run as a candidate. What do I do?
If you are interested in running as either the Chairperson or a Commissioner representing one of our electoral divisions, you should contact the Returning Officer, Luisa Benvenuti, who will provide you with a Candidate’s Kit and nomination papers. These documents will be ready as of noon on September 18, 2020. The deadline to deposit nomination papers, completely filled in, is 5:00 pm on Sunday, September 27, 2020.
As a candidate, may I solicit and receive contributions, incur expenses and contract loans for electoral purposes?
Yes, however you must hold an authorization from the Chief Electoral Officer of Quebec if you plan to solicit and receive contributions, incur expenses and contract loans to finance your political activities. This request is to be made in writing to the Returning Officer, Luisa Benvenuti